Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Sour fish 1

Our neighbours invited us for sour herring some days ago (not this brand though). This is a delicacy every time whether served with only fine boiled potatoes and a lager beer, or with (hopefully freshly homebaked) thin white bread and onions, or even tomatoes. Last years release is usually the best choice, if not the next to last - the flesh should not be to firm, and there should be a gaseous feel to it.

It is a pity that only few brands remain out many that existed a few decades ago. Maybe we can hope for a development like the beer market? The eating habit seems to spread down into the south. I still remember the best herring I ever had, thirty years ago - the taste, like an old danish cheese, and the green colour of the can.... unfortunately not the name of the brand though - but that would not help revive it anyway.

I was happy to hear my cousin, who fishes his own herring, tell me that he is learning to make his own sour herring. I hope to have the chance to try that later on....

Comments:
I agree that swedish design, as you wrote in the previous post, is a heritage we should cherish and respect, but that does not apply for sour fish.
I'm sorry, it just don't.
 
The ability to appreciate fermented fish is something that may grow on you as times goes by. Or may not.
 
Dear blog reader, do not for one single moment believe this. Sour herring is a disgrace, smells like shit and tastes the same.
Sorry, beaver, you got it all wrong...
 
Opinions seem to differ a lot here...I am waiting for one single reader to stand up for advanced taste and aroma experiences!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?